Friday, July 6, 2012

Vocabulary Lesson

I got a text message from my cleaning lady today, about 30 minutes after she left, saying something about checking the "chambre au dessous" for an open window.  Another 30 minutes later, a brief but powerful rain storm hit.  I had carefully checked the windows in the downstairs bedroom. 

Vocabulary lesson - she actually meant, "chambre au dessus".  That one little letter - the "o" - makes quite a difference, which I learned when I ventured upstairs during the rainstorm, thinking it was a bit loud.  Two pillowcases, a comforter, two jackets, and the vacuum cleaner had been thoroughly drenched.

To review, "dessous" is below/under and "dessus" is above/over.  Dear French Language, could you please have more distinct words for opposites?  Sincerely, Woman with a lot of Wet Stuff